Skip to main content

Staying busy as a coping style

A blog I wrote recently on mental health received a wide range of comments and feedback. Some of them were feedback where the reader said they related to what was being mentioned. The others were differences with the stand I had taken in the blog. Some of the feedback was because of gaps in communication between what I intended to write, what I wrote and what the reader interpreted from it. I have had some chance to reflect more on mental health, mental illness, coping and resilience. Here is a follow up to my previous blog on mental health and coping. 

The main premise of the previous blog was that people who live in uncertain life situations, typically those who live in poverty, but could also include others who have uncertainties other than money in their life,  may have better coping styles. Alternatively they may not have the time or space to address their mental health issues, which they may brush under the carpet and move on with life. My friend and I have been discussing these issues subsequently. One strategy that both my friend and I have used to handle our mental health issues is to distract ourself from the issue that is causing the distress and keeping ourselves busy. I started working 7 days a week almost 14 years ago and continue doing it till date. My friend also has a similar kind of work life. We agreed that the days when we are super-busy doing things, there is no time to sit and reflect on our mental health. 

Businessman Busy Happy Work Stock Illustration 188852114 | Shutterstock

I also recollected my days as a post-graduate registrar at the Community Health Department in CMC Vellore. 'Hectic' is putting it very light! Life used to be a whirlwind of activity. We used to work hard and the small breaks that we got from work used to be super-fun. I remember once my friends and I after a grinding 36 hour shift in the hospital, went to the movies. All three of us slept through the whole show, cozy and comfortable in the soft cushion chairs in the cool air-conditioned theatre. That was heaven for the Vellore heat. Those were days when the mind was really blank. We lived in the moment. There was no time to think and worry about the future or think and fret about the past. 

But we were also wondering if staying busy is an escape mechanism to run away from confronting the main issue that is causing the stress. Is it healthy 'coping'? Will all the pent up frustrations and feelings come crash landing one day? Are we doing the right thing by distracting ourselves from feeling the distressing emotions? 

I think the very fact that we acknowledge that we are distressed mentally is the first step in getting better. "There is a difference between feeling neutral and feeling numb", says Briana West in her collection of essays titled "101 essays that will change the way you think" 

101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think by Brianna ...

When we distract ourselves from our painful emotions by doing something meaningful for us and staying busy, I think we are making active efforts to stay neutral and not allowing the distress to overpower us. The purpose and meaning that we experience out of staying busy doing things meaningful to us, helps us slowly heal. Sometimes we may try to numb our emotional distress by distracting ourselves with alcohol, movies, parties, crowds. I think these just make the feeling numb. Being numb means that the underlying emotional distress is building, but there is so much happening that we are not able to sense it right then. Healing may or may not happen and there is always the risk that the issue will break out some time in the future. 

I strongly believe that staying busy doing things which give us meaning in life is a healthy coping strategy. But not all people who are busy are that way by choice. Some have no choice but to stay busy. But if the fruits of their busy work is supporting their family and themselves, then that should also count as meaning in life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the kindest man I have seen

I was not feeling very well yesterday. It has been this long-drawn cough, cold which had morphed itself into a sinusitis and headache. As soon as I wound up clinic around 1.30 PM, I decided to leave for home. My friend, a physiotherapist had come to clinic and whenever he comes, I hitch a pillion ride on his motorbike till Chengalpet from where I take the train home. But yesterday was not a routine day. Early in the morning, I got a call from the wife of one of my long-term patients and good friend. He had been fighting for life in a critical care unit with complications of chronic kidney disease for more than a week now. He passed away early yesterday morning. This was running in my mind throughout the day. I was conflicted between going to to their home and going home to get some rest. I decided I will go home. I got on to my friend’s motorbike and almost reached Chengalpet. Throughout the ride all I could think of was the man who had passed on and his family. So somewhere just befor...

Empathetic science and TB elimination

Three years ago I read a novella “Yaanai Doctor” (Elephant doctor) in Tamil, by Jeyamohan. It is a heartwarming and deeply moving narrative of the life of Dr. V. Krishnamurthy, a forest department veterinary surgeon who dedicated his life to conservation and treatment of wild elephants in south India. The book moved me deeply through its arresting narrative style and the inspiring tribute that it paid to a humble unsung hero. Dr. V.K ‘s beautiful journey with the elephants in the forest and the way they understand, respect and love him felt inspiring. The book stood for ‘empathetic science’, scientific knowledge laced with compassionate empathy for all life forms. Though I read the book long ago, the feeling that it gave me never left me.   Today, I received the book “Echoes from the Atoll: Inside India’s first TB-free islands” which I had ordered a week ago. Written by Dr. Rakesh P.S., my dear friend, the book is published by Clever Fox Publishing, Chennai. Rakesh sent me a messag...

The Good Doctor: From Hoshiyaar to Dildaar

    Centre for Health and Enquiry into Allied Themes (CEHAT) in collaboration with Agents of Ishq have created a six part video series titled “Good Doctor”. The series addresses an important question in health care delivery – “Who is a good doctor?” Each of the six videos is around 10 minutes in running time. Each episode in this series depicts important aspects of patient care including empathy, understanding social determinants of health, including them in clinical decision making, ethical issues including autonomy, right to health care, and gender sensitive health care. These are important aspects of the practice of medicine which are often overlooked. These videos are in Hindi with English subtitles. They combine humour, depiction of realistic clinical scenarios from the Indian context, and intelligent use of dramatic elements to convey these important messages.    There are two main characters Dr. Hoshiyaar, the young resident doctor in training played by Sawan ...