Skip to main content

The power of teams and solidarity

One of the greatest challenges in working as a team is striking the balance between team coherence and emergence of individuality of the members. There have been times when I have enjoyed the dynamics of working in my team with each member complementing the skills of each other and bridging all the pitfalls within the team. But there have been other times when I have felt that I have not contributed enough to the project that we are working on and feel like an "imposter" claiming wrongful credit where it doesn't belong. I recently withdrew from a team effort because I felt that my contributions were not enough. My team mates were very upset with the fact that I withdrew. I have been reflecting on whether what I did was right or wrong. Here are some of my thoughts:
  • The main reason I withdrew from the team work was because I felt that I had not contributed "enough". I am wondering if anyone can ever contribute 'enough' to a project in a team. Each person contributes a little, or even a lot. But is that little or lot ever enough? Not only is it never enough, it is not possible to work in a team if each person thinks they must contribute 'enough'. 
  • The thought that 'I' am not contributing to the project probably emerges from my individuality overpowering the team feeling. 
  • I realised that in a team, even 'being there' is sufficient. Our presence creates a sense of solidarity within the team. The solidarity is not something that can be quantified and measured. It gives rise to some strengths that cannot even be described. As people trained to think in terms of targets, outputs and productivity, we fail to realise the importance of these intangible goods that come as being part of the team. 
  • I also felt that I am exploiting the work of the other members. I felt I am being this parasite who claims credit for a team-work where I have not contributed. I failed to understand that the greatest power of a team is that we can adjust to each other's availability and skills and contribute where it is feasible and lean on others where it is not. This is not exploitation. It is complementarity. 
  • Lastly I failed to understand that sometimes, when I am making such statements like, "I withdraw from this work because I don't think I contributed much", in the same stroke I am also implying "All of you who haven't contributed much but claimed credit in all our work, I think you don't deserve the credit." 


The famous Bill Withers song Lean on Me captures the spirit of team work so well. 

"Lean on meWhen you're not strongAnd I'll be your friendI'll help you carry on...
For it won't be longTill I'm gonna need somebody to lean on"

Comments

  1. So we'll said Vijay...the intangible and the individual ego parts of your piece resonated , particularly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tribute to the kindest man I have seen

I was not feeling very well yesterday. It has been this long-drawn cough, cold which had morphed itself into a sinusitis and headache. As soon as I wound up clinic around 1.30 PM, I decided to leave for home. My friend, a physiotherapist had come to clinic and whenever he comes, I hitch a pillion ride on his motorbike till Chengalpet from where I take the train home. But yesterday was not a routine day. Early in the morning, I got a call from the wife of one of my long-term patients and good friend. He had been fighting for life in a critical care unit with complications of chronic kidney disease for more than a week now. He passed away early yesterday morning. This was running in my mind throughout the day. I was conflicted between going to to their home and going home to get some rest. I decided I will go home. I got on to my friend’s motorbike and almost reached Chengalpet. Throughout the ride all I could think of was the man who had passed on and his family. So somewhere just befor...

Misappropriation versus Representation

I am writing this blog after a long time. This hiatus is because of a mental health set-back. I am trying to recover and get back into a routine. I am grateful to some of my readers who remembered and asked me specifically why I haven’t been writing. Thank you for your trust and your patience.   When I used to be a teacher in a medical college, one of my favorite classes used to be an interactive narrative session on caste as a determinant of health. My work with RUWSEC, a Dalit women’s organization over the past 15 years has given me significant insights into caste as a major determinant of health, wellness, illness, and treatment seeking behavior. I used to share stories from the things I have seen and heard during my work in RUWSEC. I vividly remember one of the classes in late 2023. It was a class of first year medical students. I was talking to them about the story of how I was dressing the wound over the foot of a patient. The patient belonged to Dalit community and when I we...

Injustice bites

  “I thought God dealt me a raw deal with diabetes and high BP. Not just that. He constantly beats and pushes me down. I am the unluckiest person on earth” Mr. K lamented at the close of our clinical encounter. It was Mr. K’s first visit to our clinic. I see patients in the clinic on Mondays and Fridays and it was a Monday morning. There were not many patients waiting and so we had some time to talk. After obtaining clinical information from him, we were discussing about his life.     Mr. K recently retired as a clerk from the registrar’s office. He worked there for more than 25 years. Registrar’s offices are fertile grounds for corruption and bribe. “On an average day we would earn 14-15 lakh rupees in bribes for land registrations” Mr. K did not even bat an eyelid when he said this. This amount is way more than my annual income, and I struggled hard to keep my jaw from dropping.    “The sub-registrar would make all the collections and put them in a cloth bag. ...